The Gauge

Friday, March 30, 2007

Still here, still pregnant. I'm at the point where I really can't imagine that I'm ever going to have this baby, but people assure me that it really is going to happen. Our midwife told us that we may have had our due date wrong by five days, and I imagine they are going to tell us that for the next five years or so and I'll just be big and huge and pregnant for ages.

So, officially our due date is somewhere between the 6th and the 11th of April. I like the sound of April 2nd, myself, and labor sounds like a fine way to pass a Monday. Monday's child is fair of face. Well, that's a given! Poor Wednesday's child is full of woe! Let's hope she doesn't actually arrive on the 11th!

I had my weekly visit with the midwives yesterday, and everything is just fine. The babe sounds good and Mary thought she might be around 8 lbs.! I tested negative for GBS - a HUGE relief, because I really don't want to be hooked up to anything during labor.

I still haven't packed my bag or washed the baby's new things or ordered the diaper service. I am in serious denial that anything is about to happen, I suppose. So ready and so unready....

We finished our birthing classes. I LOVED this experience, and am seriously going to look into being a childbirth educator down the road a little. We had a great teacher and I could really envision getting into the whole thing. We talked to her a little about the process and she said there's a demand and that it's a really flexible and rewarding way to bring in a little extra money. We like the sound of that! I've always been obsessed with pregnancy/birth/newborns, so it could be a good fit at some point.

The funny thing is....I've hated being pregnant. I know I've mentioned it, but I feel surprised by it. I have been looking forward to this experience for my whole life, and I feel disappointed. Yesterday I was feeling pretty good and we were at Trader Joe's and everyone was smiling at me and the checkout guy was really sweet. I thought "Oh! This is what other pregnant women feel like!" I haven't been able to enjoy the special attention that comes with this because I've felt so tired and not myself. I was telling another expectant lady at Mabel's that, in effect, I've felt like I've had an illness for 9 months. Such a bummer.

Little girl....COME OUT!! We want to hug you and kiss you and love you and enjoy you and get on with this business of becoming a little family!

3 Comments:

  • At 3/30/2007 06:50:00 PM, Blogger Tricia said…

    Georgia is a Monday babe! In case I haven't said it a BILLION times, I can't wait to see your little doe..........

     
  • At 4/01/2007 08:44:00 PM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    I'm SO glad you had a good birthing class. Mine made me afraid for humanity. Reminded me of gym class in high school. You know how there were people you never saw anywhere, but you saw them in gym class and they were a little scary? That's how ALL the other expectant parents were in my birthing class.

    I think Zack was born on a Thursday. Cheated woe by a nose, but I'm not sure what Thursday is all about in that poem.

    Are you at the shop at all these days? I may stop in tomorrow. I need a fix.

     
  • At 4/02/2007 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Misha said…

    Yeah, Blix was born on a Wednesday, unfortunately, but then so was I!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home