The Gauge

Friday, September 29, 2006

I got a peep at the baby yesterday! I wasn't supposed to, but I did, and my GOD - what a thrill. My midwife was trying to hear the heartbeat and couldn't find it (I guess I have an inverted something or other that makes it hard to find at this stage) and I started to panic and was thinking "oh crap...I was right....there really isn't anybody in there." So she brought the ultrasound machine in and gooed my belly and right off...there he was! (I say "he" but I really don't know...just the feeling I got looking at him.) He was sqirming around and looking like a baby!! So crazy....

So we could see his heart pumping away. She turned off the ultrasound machine and was trying to hear the heart again and still couldn't find it, so she turned the machine back on to look, and he had COMPLETELY flipped around. What a little peanut. And my god....seeing a little profile, little arms. Then there, it was - a perfect little thump, thump, thump. And hearing his heart made mine jump into my throat.

So that was some awesome magic in an otherwise bad week. We will finish cleaning the old place today, so can finish unpacking in the new apartment and settling in for real. Phew. The relief is tangible.

4 Comments:

  • At 9/30/2006 04:33:00 PM, Blogger Misha said…

    That is so great, Caitlin! Ultrasounds are pretty wild, especially when they're really small. So happy you could see your little peanut. We got a video at our final ultrasound--I recommend it! And I tell ya, it's wicked cool to feel the little monkey. My baby's been kicking up a storm today.
    Woo-hoo!
    Misha

     
  • At 10/02/2006 08:53:00 AM, Blogger Tricia said…

    Congrats, Caitlin! That SAME thing happened to me with the not finding the heartbeat so getting to see the ultrasound early thing! It was so awesome! All told, we had 4 ultrasounds (I feel lucky that we got to see so many, although the reasons were stressful--ultimately the outcomes of the ultrasounds were all reassuring, but it is hard to go into an ultrasound when you know they are looking for problems--we had some findings early on that put us in a high risk category for certain developmental abnormalities, but so far things are working out and we will wait and see about the rest when our little girl is born...we love her to little tiny smithereens no matter what anyway so we are not nearly as stressed out as we were--concerned, but in love despite anything the world has in store for us!)

    I can't believe she will be here in 12 weeks (or less maybe!)...and soon after your little "potentially guy" will be here too! :O) Big smiles.

     
  • At 10/02/2006 08:09:00 PM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    What a thrill! I feel like I'm reliving it all over again. Keep posting these little moments. You'll be glad you have them later.

    Carolyn

     
  • At 10/07/2006 01:37:00 PM, Blogger penguindevil said…

    Man! Well, I'm the big sucker that went to work instead of the midwifes... That was a bad call. I haven't seen the little guy since he was just a little glob and now Caitlin seen him dancing around and everything! Next time, there will need to be pictures!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home