The Gauge

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Another list!

Here are 50 of my favorite books of all time:

1. Bleak House - Charles Dickens (this is, bar none, my very favorite book.)
2. Waterland - Graham Swift
3. A High Wind in Jamaica - Richard Hughes
4. Rabbit, Run - John Updike
5. Rabbit at Rest - John Updike
6. Wait Until Spring, Bandini - John Fante
7. Different Seasons - Stephen King
8. Jernigan - David Gates
9. Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
10. The French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles
11. The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles
12. His Way - Kitty Kelley
13. Northern Borders - Howard Frank Mosher
14. Disappearances - Howard Frank Mosher
15. The Complete Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
16. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
17. Angle of Repose - Wallace Stegner
18. Prep - Curtis Sittenfeld
19. Bag of Bones - Stephen King
20. The Child in Time - Ian McEwan
21. Feast of Love - Charles Baxter
22. They Came Like Swallows - William Maxwell
23. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
24. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole - Sue Townsend
25. Ask the Dust - John Fante
26. I Capture the Castle - Dodi Smith
27. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
28. Perfume - Patrick Suskind
29. Carrington: A Life - Gretchen Gerzina
30. Sophie's Choice - William Styron
31. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
32. The Bone People - Keri Hulme
33. My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead
34. The Plague - Albert Camus
35. Gift From the Sea - Anne Morrow Lindbergh
36. Judevine - David Budbill
37. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
38. The Bonfire of the Vanities - Tom Wolfe
39. A Widow for One Year - John Irving
40. While I Was Gone - Sue Miller
41. A Day No Pigs Would Die - Robert Newton Peck
42. The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Jester
43. Midwives - Chris Bohjalian
44. The Falls - Joyce Carol Oates
45. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
46. Middlemarch - George Elliot
47. Atonement - Ian McEwan
48. Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut
49. Time Will Darken It - William Maxwell
50. Hard Times - Charles Dickens

So, there you have it. I love to read and I love suggestions, so if you've read anything great lately let me know.

6 Comments:

  • At 9/15/2006 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Nora said…

    My Coughenour grandparents loved loved loved Bleak House. They'd literally finish reading it and start right back at the beginning.

     
  • At 9/15/2006 01:20:00 AM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    Hi Cait-
    Loved "Angle of Repose" too. I read it as I was traveling on vacation through Western Colorado years and years ago.

    If you liked "Wind-Up Bird Chronicle," you should try his last one, "Kafka on the Shore." It's weird and interesting and more than a little psychadellic.

    Cheers!
    C

     
  • At 9/16/2006 12:17:00 PM, Blogger Caitlin said…

    Thanks, guys. Nora, I wish I had known your grandparents - It's rare to find anyone who loves that book as much as I do!
    Carolyn - I'll have Ashley bring it home from Powell's and I'll check it out. I've liked everything by him that I've read so far.

     
  • At 9/17/2006 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Misha said…

    Great list, Caitlin! Which reminds me, I need to go find that Suskind book...
    Misha

     
  • At 9/17/2006 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Nora said…

    It makes me sad that I don't love Bleak House as much as my grandparents did (I like it a lot, but enough to read it aloud before bed every night? Not quite). So if you're ever passing through North Carolina, let me know. If my grandmama's up for it, she'd be thrilled to meet a fellow BH-o-phile.

    As for other books you might like, have you ever read anything by Iris Murdoch? If not, A Severed Head might just be one of my favorite books ever. Oh, and I've been loving Jasper Fforde's mystereis right now.

     
  • At 9/17/2006 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Nora said…

    To clarify: if you have read anything by Iris Murdoch, I'll still love A Severed Head. It's just that you might want to check it out as all.

    Percocet? Who's on percocet?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home