The Gauge

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A little confession...

I have gained...well...a bit of weight since moving to Portland. And by a bit, I'm talking 20 pounds or so. And I weighed more than I woulda liked then, anyway. I carry weight pretty well, so I might not look a whole lot different than I did two years ago, but boy can I feel it. I felt heavy at my wedding (which REALLY bums me out - it was such a perfect and wonderful day that I'm angry that I get stuck on that) and I've wanted to really change my lifestyle since the. Problem is, I'm LAZY when it comes to eating properly and excersizing in a consistant fashion - and given the fact that I really don't love the city that I live in, it makes for the perfect storm of inactivity and terrible eating. Mind you, I am not an overeater, but I can make some pretty lame choices. For example? Eating a bowl of rice and three beers for supper is BAD, people!

When I was 17, I left for college and promptly lost 35 pounds off my athletic frame. I dipped right below 100 pounds, and think I messed myself up but good in the process. I haven't been able to be normal about food since then, and I sorely regret not keeping myself in check back in the day.

So? Today I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting. It felt good, and I almost cried 4 times for NO REASON. Then Ashley and I sat down and made a shopping list and went to Trader Joe's. He's going to follow along with me. I feel really inspired by people like Tricia, and I think this is going to work for me. I'm going to write about this more, and might even (gasp!) post some real photographs of myself throughout the process.

6 Comments:

  • At 3/22/2006 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Tricia said…

    Oh Cait! You are going to do really well! I just know it. And remember, just allow yourself some screw ups! For instance, my mother-in-law just sent me girl scout cookies and I ate a whole bunch, but I know that it's just one small indulgence and that veggies are for me!!!! YAY! Good luck!!

     
  • At 3/22/2006 06:28:00 PM, Blogger penguindevil said…

    Yay! This is going to be fun, lot's of good old home cooking and that Vegetable Soup!

    I must add though, you looked great on your wedding day! Everything was perfect and wonderful!

     
  • At 3/22/2006 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Misha said…

    WW rocks. I lost the most weight on that diet until I got foolhardy. You'll do great!
    Misha
    PS: Put red pepper flakes in the veggie soup. It makes a difference.

     
  • At 3/22/2006 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Caitlin said…

    Thanks, Friends and Husband!
    Tricia - I'll be asking for support and advice along the way for sure.
    Mister - you are wicked cool.
    Misha - I'll try that, though I have to say the 0 pt. soup rocks on it's own. Word!
    Evelander - Either of those mornings will work for me. I have to be at Mabelingtons at 9:30 on those mornings, so let's make a plan. And ask anyone - the rack has NEVER been in danger.

     
  • At 3/24/2006 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    You go, girl! Maybe you should have Joyce (remember Joyce?!) come live in your house and make you protein shakes and motivational tapes you can listen to while you're working.

    I'm so impressed. You DO look great, for the record. But how you FEEL is what's so important. WW is great. Check out the online version, too.

    As Shaft (or somebody) said: "Rock on with your bad self!"

     
  • At 3/25/2006 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Caitlin said…

    Thanks, Carolyn!

    Joyce STILL comes to visit me! She was here just the other day and asked about you. She's a crazy person!

    Do you still go to the gym? My membership finally ran out and I'm so relieved. Now I just need to figure out what exercise I'll actually stick with. Ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home